[ RadSafe ] Silly things to know about detection systems and HP ops.

blreider at aol.com blreider at aol.com
Fri Oct 1 01:04:25 CDT 2010

Dr. Parthasarathy,

I do hope you and others add to this, I think it will be fun and useful to some.  I liked the story you posted, it is so true that some dumb thing overlooked can cost time and money.  So I thought it would be useful to start a string where people can post dumb things they have seen other people do.  Of course none of us have done any of these so there is no shame in posting!    Here are some obvious time eaters I observed:

>  Make sure the instrument is plugged in.  I was in an MRI machine years ago in NY and the tech couldn't get the machine going.  I finally said "did you plug it in?" and it turned out the power cord was frayed.  Eaten by rats per the tech - not a warm fuzzy for me in a medical facility.  But he got the machine going, I had shoulder surgery and lived to windsurf again!

>  Noble gasses can cling to people and clothing and can move around a plant that way.  One hears of power plants that spend a lot of money because the staff didn't plan on radon from homes and containment maintenance work being detected one minute and not being around later on.  Plastics and synthetic cloth are big culprits for attracting noble gasses.

>  If your lab has efficiency problems with gamma emitter that are commonly all over the place at the plant check to find out what processes are going on around you that you might not see.

One nuclear plant I visited years ago had periodic larger than expected Cs-137 peaks on their NaI Whole Bdy Counter (WBC).  These showed up during times when they were counting people so they were thought to be + counts.  It turned out the facility had a sludge tank behind a half wall in the next building and when the sludge was stirred occasionally the cesium would rise above the wall level (I know it is a salt but there apparently was some precipitate) and shine into the building next door.
People doing other tests at the detector nearby can have sources nearby that alter your detection system's background.
Gamma spec background data can be impacted by interferences by Compton edges, tail ends of other peaks, etc.  This can result in a false lowering of the actual dose you are trying to evaluate

>  Bioassay requires observation.

Los Alamos HPs gave a talk years ago about a worker whose urine levels of Pu-239 were elevated and didn't reduce over time.  They couldn't figure out why for a while, then during an interview the worker couldn't stop picking his tooth with his finger.  He had not inhaled or ingested the radio nuclide, he had contaminated his tooth and was slowly entering his GI tract.
If the worker in your WBC at a nuclear plant has Cs-137 and Co-60 levels about a tenth of the amounts in your check source, check to see that the check source has been removed from the detector.
Radon from well-water can cling to clothing, this is especially a problem for portal monitors in the morning in areas of course with high uranium or radium in the environment.
Mouth pipetting is not the best of all methods.
Doing things you shouldn't be doing on the job in a contaminated area is not a good idea.  The investigation can be embarrassing.
The partner of someone who has a medical test such as a heart stress test can transfer detectable amounts of material to the plant worker through fluids.
If an area air sampler on one side of the room has highly elevated levels, and the area sampler on the other side of the room does as well, perhaps it is time to check the intakes of all the people working between the two samplers.

>  Old media can lose data with temperature changes.  Old computers were notorious for problems with data storage as disks expanded and contracted with high summer temperatures.  I think this is less of a problem now that storage is more compacted and on different types of materials.

>  Of course you all know that NaI detectors have peak energy shifts with temperature change.  If your lab has changes during the day, morning and evening checks might not catch all the shifts.  Ge detection systems also can have temp. shifts however for larger changes in temperatures.  Always a good practice to identify all peaks in the spectrum. K-40 is a good check peak we all carry with us.

>Iodine plates out on long cold collection tubes so what is seen at the far detection end may be under detected.

>Plutonium and other radio nuclides can plate out on container walls, which can reduce the amount in solution and alter results of a test.

>Tritium moves.  Leaves.  Plastic and rubber O-rings help this along.

>Mixing Am-241 and beryllium can increase neutron levels.

>Very high levels of alpha emitters can break down plastic bags and floor covers faster than expected, of course the creep of material could also be contamination the usual way.

> It is not good to have the exhaust from one lab placed right at the intake to another lab.

> Cool old stuff like scotch tape dispensers used depleted U as a weight in the dispenser.

>  If you have a lot of material, 10 half lives may not be the amount of time you need to reduce the material to below regulatory levels.

> Large area detectors need to be efficiency calibrated for a geometry that makes sense and is repeatable.  If you are using a large area detector to look for small particles you need to know what the bounds of the results will be with position, size and density of the subject radio nuclides.

>Sky shine can affect boundaries of facilities with appreciable amounts of penetrating radiations.  Even more in warm climates with no ceiling shielding.

> Release of uncontaminated feral cats and other wild animals caught at a highly contaminated site to a nearby location will only cause further contamination spread.  Get the local Heath Dept involved or at least decon the animals before release.

> Some oil, gas and water facilities can have plate out of thorium isotopes in addition to radium.  Thorium can be  more of a problem than radium for internal dose.

> Set points often need to be set considering the hardest to detect radio nuclides rather than the easy to detect ones.

>QA should be done at the final part of the process after all processes are finished bu before products are released.  An analyzed in time to recall a product before it is released.  Especially if that product is a medical isotope to be injected into a patient.

It is kind of fun to think of the "gotchas" and this might make a nice little list if you all put your observations in.  I should have started earlier, it is now so late!

Thanks
Barbara Reider, CHP