[ RadSafe ] Silly things to know about detection systems and HP ops.

Mike Quastel maay100 at bgu.ac.il
Fri Oct 1 05:48:05 CDT 2010

I think the classical case involved the discovery of radon. According
the the story I heard, when Rutherford worked in McGill University in
Montreal, he and his colleagues were studying the nature of radium
decay. But they were plagued with variable non-reproducible  counting
results. This was until someone noticed that the abnormal results
coincided with the passage of a secretary through the laboratory. In
those days, women wore long voluminous skirts, and when they moved
swiftly through the room, there was a breeze. Th lads realized that
there was a radioactive gas that dissipated with the breeze. Would
anyone like to debunk or correct this story?
Mike