[ RadSafe ] Nuclear Generation Question

Bauman, Rodney L (84U) 84U at bechteljacobs.org
Tue Oct 19 14:44:20 CDT 2010

Each unit at Zion Station (2 units) produced 1098 MW (net electric).

Each generator was rated at 1220 MVA, 25 kV, with a 0.9 power factor (thus 1098 MW when you do the math).

So at full power, each unit generated ~ 44,000 amps at 25 kV.

However, just outside the turbine building were the main power transformers, which stepped-up the voltage to 345 kV for distribution on the grid.  So, that would've reduced the amps to around 3,200.

Rodney Bauman
Former Zion Station Employee