[ RadSafe ] Keeping an open mind Are we keeping an open mind?

Bernard L. Cohen blc at pitt.edu
Wed Oct 20 12:54:01 CDT 2010

  There is a very important difference between the way CO2 and H2O
relate to global warming. The H2O in our atmosphere is simply related to
the temperature; this is because there is so much ocean water, that its
vapor pressure is the determining factor, and that depends only on
temperature.
     As described in standard Geology textbooks, the situation of CO2 is
much more complex. It is related to the carbon available, but 99+
percent of the Earth's carbon is in carbonate rocks, mostly calcium
carbonate. Increased temperature accelerates weathering of calcium
silicate rocks (silicate rocks are much more common than carbonate
rocks) which releases calcium into the oceans where microscopic sea
animals combine it with dissolved CO2 to produce (eventually) calcium
carbonate rocks (e.g. the white cliffs of Dover). This depletes the CO2
in the oceans which causes more CO2 from the atmosphere to dissolve in
the oceans, reducing the atmospheric CO2, and thus cooling the Earth.
Overall, then, there is a temperature regulating process -- increased
temperature leads to cooling (and vice versa) which is a stabilizing
feedback on a geologic time scale.  While the amount of carbon in fossil
fuels is very much less than that in carbonate rocks, releasing all of
the former suddenly (on a geologic time scale) could easily disturb that
balance.

--
Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept., University of Pittsburgh