[ RadSafe ] X-ray Generating Device Compliance

Mark Ramsay mark.ramsay at ionactive.co.uk
Wed Oct 20 11:14:03 CDT 2010

HI Neil

A quick answer (but potentially requires a longer one!).

For the UK / EU the 'limit' is not a legal limit (at least not in the
UK). It is derived from a section of the EURATOM Directive which was
designed to basically allow exemption by member states of EU. The
interpretation of this, or more importantly the use of the 'limit',
differs to some extent (e.g surface dose rate / dose rate at 10 cm and
so on).

However, for all practical purposes it might as well be a legal limit
and it is this 'limit' (outside the US) that manufacturers will design
to. Furthermore, many US manufactures will also design to the EU 'limit'
for export etc etc...

" different survey techniques, different geometry, different survey
instruments and different interpretations" - I can quite believe it. In
the UK this would be done either by a Radiation Protection Adviser
(RPA), or by someone else who is able to consult the RPA. In this way
the checks would be deemed to have been done by a competent person to
ensure compliance with the Ionising Radiations Regulations 1999 (IRR99).
In the UK there is not a 'standard' approach, rather how it is done is
left to that competent person. That person (e.g. the RPA) should of
course have a standard / documented way of undertaking a survey which
may be subject to QA checks etc.

As for dose rates at the curtain etc - It seems your example was perhaps
not done by a 'competent person' ?! The key as you obviously know is
perhaps summed up as 'micro Sv-in-any-one-hour' (to use SI units). When
I look at such units I am interested in throughput (per minute / per
hour), spacing of articles being tested, number of curtains, how many
curtains can be open at any one time, size and shape of the objective
(long, short, wide), scatter potential, any shutters that open or shut
etc etc etc. This all yields the micro Sv-in-any-one-hour which is the
important criteria. Instantaneous dose rate it not ignored and there
might be reasons where it matters (e.g. some blockage which causes all
curtains to be open etc).

Hope this quick ramble makes some sense.

Rgs

Mark

www.ionactive.co.uk

www.twitter.com/ionactive