[ RadSafe ] "x ray" vs "x-ray" Grammar (UNCLASSIFIED)

Falo, Gerald A Dr CIV USA MEDCOM PHC Jerry.Falo at us.army.mil
Wed Oct 20 12:39:22 CDT 2010

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Generally, in American English hyphenation is somewhat discouraged and, in many cases, depends on the particular style manual used.

The hyphen used to prevent confusion especially when nouns are used as adjectives.  For example, a the phrase "beta particle accelerator" might confuse a reader. Did the writer intend an accelerator that accelerates beta particles"  If so, "beta-particle accelerator" would be the best was to write it. If the writer was referring to the "beta" particle accelerator in contrast to the "alpha" particle accelerator, then perhaps different names should have been chosen. Personally, in this second case, I could see using quotation marks as I just did, or the completely hyphenated form, i.e., "beta-particle-accelerator."

So, with x rays, it would be "x ray" when referring to the radiation but "x-ray" when used as an adjective as in "x-ray machine."

For a somewhat glib review of hyphenation try: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/grammar-hyphens.aspx.

Enjoy,
Jerry