[ RadSafe ] x-rays or whatever

Hansen, Richard HansenRG at nv.doe.gov
Wed Oct 20 20:11:11 CDT 2010

As a developer of training courses for emergency responders, here is my
two cents worth on this topic.

We use the term "x-rays" in our training materials, rather than "x
radiation" because most people are already familiar with the medical and
dental x-ray radiographs. To use "x radiation" might be confusing to
them.

However, for other types of radiation, we intentionally refer to "alpha
radiation, beta radiation, gamma radiation, and neutron radiation"
instead of "alpha particles, beta particles, gamma-rays, and neutron
particles."

Many students initially think that radiation particles such as beta or
alpha particles behave like particles of dust or droplets of liquids,
leading them to mistakenly think some of the following.
Someone inhales alpha particles to become internally contaminated.
(Wrong. He can inhale plutonium or other alpha-emitting radioactive
material.)
Beta particles penetrate protective suites and contaminate the person's
skin (wrong).
You are safe from beta particles and neutron particles if you stand
upwind of the radioactive materials.
Another mistaken idea is that you cannot be contaminated by gamma
(gamma-emitters) because gamma rays are wave, and therefore you do not
need protective respirators for any gamma-emitting sources (wrong).

These ideas come from their experiences with chemical hazards and the
students not differentiating between radioactive material and radiation.
For most emergency response tasks, the personnel deal with radioactive
material and the radiation from it without needing to think about the
particle or wave nature of radiation itself.

This is not just an issue with students. The misconceptions about alpha,
beta, and neutron radiation (being particulate hazards like dust) and
gamma radiation have been incorporated into U.S. national standards on
personal protective equipment (PPE) for emergency responders at
Chemical, Biological, Radiological, or Nuclear (CBRN) materials
incidents. See the standard for National Fire Protection Association
NFPA 1994, Class 4 CBRN Protective Ensemble. This standard treats alpha,
beta, and neutron radiation as particulate hazards even says it does not
apply if gamma-rays or x-rays are present at the incident. The PPE
standard should be focused on radioactive material and protecting
responders from internal and external contamination from the radioactive
materials regardless of the type of radiation those materials emit.

So the words you use do matter. I encourage you, when talking to
emergency responders, to use the terms "alpha radiation, beta radiation,
gamma radiation, and neutron radiation" instead of "alpha particles,
beta particles, gamma-rays, and neutron particles." You can use
"x-rays," "x rays," or "x radiation" as you see fit though.

Just my opinions, not those of DHS, DOE, or NSTec.

Best regards,
Rick Hansen
Senior Scientist
Counter Terrorism Operations Support Program
National Security Technologies, LLC, for the U.S. Dept of Energy
hansenrg at nv.doe.gov
www.ctosnnsa.org
Message: 2