[ RadSafe ] 'Hydraulic fracturing' mobilizes uranium in marcellus shale

Peter Collopy chaosforthefuture at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 27 06:19:41 CDT 2010

just to add an empirical observation - I did a survey at a plant designed to treat the well development water for chemicals and some of the accumulated sludges can result in exposure rates of ~ 200 micoR/hr at 18" from the equipment. The Ra-226 is the prinicapl contaminant causing the above background exposure rates

PA has a whole set of regs/guidelines originally designed for waste facilities and the receipt of orphan sources. they are now applying some of these guides to the water treatment facilities-Dave Allard has a presentation somewhere on the PADER web site if you are interested in the subject matter

Pete C

Peter Collopy, CIH, CHP, CSP
Director, Entropy Control
Chaos for the Future