[ RadSafe ] The republic - Change Topic to Bechtel BWXT Idaho Worker Dose

Forbes, John forbesjm at nv.doe.gov
Wed Sep 29 15:25:08 CDT 2010

It strayed as soon as we mentioned Yucca Mountain; now for some current rad protection news check out the following:
IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (AP) ‐ About 20 workers at a federal cleanup project in eastern Idaho were exposed
to radioactive waste last February after a plywood box broke open, but site managers say the doses
were below acceptable levels.

Bechtel BWXT Idaho, which is overseeing the multibillion dollar cleanup at the Idaho National
Laboratory of waste stored here for decades, confirmed the incident this week.

The Idaho Falls Post‐Register reports the highest dose received by a worker was 130 millirem, less than
half the average yearly dose that Americans receive from background radiation.

Still, since the incident, Bechtel has halted efforts to retrieve stored waste, on concern about the
structural integrity of the containers.

It's working on alternatives to handling them safely.
You're welcome,
John