[ RadSafe ] low energy gamma-spikes pranks done with photomultiplier tubes! Blocked air flow causes problem

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 30 21:44:12 CDT 2010

Dear Dr Dixon,

In our counting laboratory in Leeds we found an inexplicable shift of a few
channels in the case of a sensitive gamma spectrometer. The multichannel
analyser and associated instrumentation belonged to one company (Nuclear
Diodes??) whereas the detector was from Nuclear Enterprises. Both companies
defended their turf.

We recorded room temperature continuously. The ambient temperature in the sub
basement laboratory was strictly controlled within plus or minus a few degrees.
We spent better part of a month trying to figure out the cause of shift. The
reason was pretty simple. Some one has inadvertently kept a folder (the typical
functional one distributed in conferences) over the electronic instruments
thereby blocking the air flow.
There was another instance in which an instrument behaved quixotically because
the fibrous filter which removes dust got clogged over the years. We may not get
such experience from text books

Regards

Parthasarathy