[ RadSafe ] Cl-38 and "neutron beams"

Derek Putley derek.putley at serco.com
Sat Apr 2 12:40:45 CDT 2011

Bob

Thanks very much. I was also beginning to wonder if any Na-24 would be detected.

My main reference on the irradiation/activation of sea water also mentions the scattering of neutrons by the atmosphere. Hence I suspect the term "neutron beams" in some of the reports should really have been "neutron radiation" or something like that. It would also have been nice to know how the any measured neutron activity compared to what would normally be observed from an operating reactor. A small critical system within the reactor containment ought to give fewer neutrons than the same reactor operating under power.

>From: "Bob Hearn" <rah at america.net>
>Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] neutron sources for Cl-38 production

>The list of isotopes I saw had Cl-38 as one of the highest activity
>components, but no Na-24. If this is indeed due to neutron activation of
>seawater, large quantities of Na-24 (higher neutron activation cross-section
>and longer half-life) should be observed.

Best Regards

Derek Putley

Technical Area Lead (Criticality)

Serco (Technical Services)
Thomson House, Risley, Warrington, Cheshire, WA3 6GA, UK

*****Disclaimer************
This email and any attachments may contain confidential and/or
privileged material; it is for the intended addressee(s) only. If
you are not a named addressee, you must not use, retain or
disclose such information.

Serco cannot guarantee that the email or any attachments are free
from viruses.
The views expressed in this email are those of the originator and
do not necessarily represent the views of Serco.

Nothing in this email shall bind Serco in any contract or
obligation.

Please note that all email messages sent to Serco are subject to
monitoring / interception for lawful business purposes.

Serco Group plc.  Registered in England and Wales.  No: 2048608
Registered Office:  Serco House, 16 Bartley Wood Business Park,
Bartley Way, Hook, Hampshire, RG27 9UY, United Kingdom.
*****End Disclaimer********