[ RadSafe ] Radiation fears have prevented authorities from collecting as many as 1, 000 bodies

radbloom at comcast.net radbloom at comcast.net
Wed Apr 6 17:53:41 CDT 2011

Franz et al,

I have to wonder if this is a case of folks not knowing the differences among the terms.  Having reviewed many, many documents, I've found that even the professionals occasionally misuse the terms radiation, radioactivity and contamination.  And in this case where radiation is what is being measured, the person interpreting the measurement then has to determine what that measurement of radiation means.  Does it mean the body is covered with radioactive contamination?  Does it mean that there is radioactivity that has been taken into the bodies (I doubt that this would show up in field measurements and it is likely that intakes were very small or nonexistent until days after the initial tsunami/earthquake)?  I personally doubt that these bodies would have been activated (made radioactive by interaction with certain types and energies of radiation).

I think this forum is a great place to jump in and remind folks (including ourselves) to be careful with our words, so we can improve our communication.  I also think that the translations between Japanese and English might occasionally add to the confusion.

I hope I've been careful enough with my words, because I mean this only to be constructive.

Thank you for encouraging my thoughts.  I'm hoping you've given me the incentive to contact those who are providing reports that are not clear regarding these terms.

What a horrible tragedy this is.  My heart goes out to these families.

Cindy Bloom