[ RadSafe ] Fw: The sad history of nuclear waste policy

Jerry Cohen jjc105 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 6 19:51:15 CDT 2011

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Jerry Cohen <jjc105 at yahoo.com>
To: Franz Schönhofer <franz.schoenhofer at chello.at>
Sent: Wed, April 6, 2011 5:38:41 PM
Subject: Re: The sad history of nuclear waste policy

Franz,

I too am retired and believe that should make our views more valuable since we
can be completely objective and need no longer cater to the whims of funding
agencies. For example, I have for decades opposed incorporation of the LNT
nonsense in low-dose radiation policies and even advocated consideration of
hormesis (still deemed a heresy by most policy makers).
In this regard, I have long advocated oceanic disposal of nuclear waste. Perhaps
you knew Charles Osterberg, an oceanographer who directed the oceanic studies at
the IAEA marine laboratory in Monaco. Osterberg was a strong advocate for sea
disposal of radioactive wastes. He  made a convincing case for it, but his pleas
fell on deaf ears. As early as the 1960's, the concept of geologic disposal of
nuclear waste became so entrenched that any other approach was summarily
dismissed. I think the current nuclear waste policy fiasco began in the 1950's
when the US Atomic Energy Commission requested that the National Academy of
Science establish a Committee to recommend a policy for nuclear waste
management. This committee consisted almost entirely of geological scientists
and perhaps one chemist. No health phyisicists or other radological protection
expertise was represented. In my opinion, this was the first in a series of
blunders leading to the Yucca Mountain debacle. One could still make a
convincing case that Oceanic disposal of nucwaste would clearly be safest,
cheapeat , and relatively easy from an operational standpoint  ----- assuming
that anyone cared to listen. Too many people have made a good living pursuing
our  current disastrous policies and unless there is an unlikely enlightenment
of our policy makers. this condition will continue.
Previously, on radsafe, I quipped that if anyone were to come up with an
acceptable plan for  NW disposal, he would likely be lynched by a mob of crazed
geologists. Then the geologists would have to go back to finding oil and other
valuable minerals as God intended for them to do ;-).

Jerry