[ RadSafe ] Fw: Radiation Protection In Pill Form please provide further insight, if any

neilkeeney at aol.com neilkeeney at aol.com
Sun Apr 17 18:05:57 CDT 2011

Hello:

This would be very cool if it were true...

This is, admittedly, lay territory for me and I may be operating on false data but, my undergraduate studies in the area of microbiology, biophysics, etc. indicated that all the hundreds of known radioprotective compounds found to be effective scavengers at high doses (at least in mouse tissue) had very nasty side effects when provided in sufficient concentrations as to act as a universal free radical scavenger..  The cure was stated to be far worse than the free radicals.  I think these were mainly referring to sulfhdryl compounds and my training is a bit dated...

Wouldn't the scavenger have to be very close to the hydroxyl ion, within a couple of nm, for this to work as advertised?  If there were sufficient scavengers in the cell conveniently located within a few nm of a DNA strand that were available to bond with a hydroxyl group resulting from an nearby water molecule hit, then, how would you avoid similar chemistry problems resulting from the presence of the scavenger that would, necessarily, have to have the open valence to bond the hydroxyl group?  Wouldn't this skew any ongoing repair fidelity?   I think this is the general area where the cure overloads the effect with respect to cellular damage...

I'm curious about the trials too.  What was the cellular division stage of the cell plates during the trials?

Neil Keeney