[ RadSafe ] Fw: Certifying radiation "free" Japanese imports

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Thu Apr 21 13:39:48 CDT 2011

Stewart,

No, you are not missing anything!!!!!

The knowleadgable scientists on RADSAFE are bashing Chris Busby (well
reasoned and correctly!) and then I have to read on RADSAFE about "Radiation
free imports from Japan", about completely outdated measurement methods,
which do not give any reasonable information about contamination. I see
clear advertisments for completely unsuitable instruments

Having been responsible for a very large percentage of measurements of food,
cereals, game, precipitation, aerosols etc. in the aftermath of the
Chernobyl accident in Austria I can only tell you, that we used exclusively
Germanium-detectors throughout all of Austria. Gross alpha-beta? What a
nonsense! We needed data about I-131 to estimate the risk from fresh milk in
order to steer the distribution within Austria, we needed data on Cs-137 on
the risks from also fresh milk, meat, cheese etc. etc. to decide where to
stop sales, where to withdraw fresh milk for cheese making etc. etc.! What
should gross alpha-beta-measurements help in such a situation? Just rubbish!

Scientists very conscious of the real problems in the case of a nuclear
accident have set up in Europe and in Austria even long time before networks
for sampling and measurements, even possibilities for airborne surveillance.
Laboratories are equipped with all kind of instruments and methods for
nuclide specific analysis for any alpha- beta or gamma -emitting isotope.

So, come on, you US hardliners: Do you want to tell me that nothing similar
exists in the USA? There are enough excellent scientists there and if it is
only a question of organisation - do something about it!

Best wishes,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.