[ RadSafe ] Leukemias and Chernobyl + European Journal...

Busby Chris C.Busby at ulster.ac.uk
Sun Apr 24 10:40:07 CDT 2011

Not relevant
Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at agni.phys.iit.edu on behalf of Otto G. Raabe
Sent: Fri 22/04/2011 23:49
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Leukemias and Chernobyl + European Journal...

>On 4/21/2011 1:48 PM, Howard wrote:
>>Indeed, more thyroid cancers were found in children after Chernobyl
>>exposure - but the degree of malignancy noted was less and the
>>death rate was unchanged, suggesting that milder malignancies were
>>counted that would not have been included in the "controls".
**************************************
Although the increase thyroid cancer from childhood exposure to I-131
was readily detected, the cure rate is about 95% so that the death
rate is much smaller. I think the info is in "Health Effects of the
Chernobyl Accident and Special Health Care Programmes", World Health
Organization, Geneva, 2006.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140