[ RadSafe ] Instruments to certify exporting equipment clean

Thompson, Dewey L DThompson3 at ameren.com
Sun Apr 24 19:37:12 CDT 2011

It would not be worth much for Sr-90/Y-90, as these are beta particle decay only. The sodium iodide crystal is quite efficient for photons, but unresponsive to beta.  The natural background on the NaI crystal would likely mask any Bremmstrahlung photons, unless you were using a really good shield. But why are you concerned about pure Sr/Y?  The original question was concerning screening for contaminants from Fukushima - the stated instrument would be perfect for the requested service - screening for gross contaminants from a reactor release (which will have photon). If you wanted to screen for Sr/Y, couple a thin window Geiger Tube and frisk.

Dewey
Sent using BlackBerry