[ RadSafe ] Arnie Gundersen - Another One Who Interviews on Russia Today and Floods the Net

Tom Simpson bullet308 at att.net
Thu Apr 28 07:42:47 CDT 2011

Arnie Gundersen has been all over the web and the news sharing his
opinions on just what is going on.

I am not a nuclear engineer, but most of what he says seems plausible
enough to me.  The actual claim was that a hydrogen gas explosion in
Unit 3's fuel storage pond banged enough fuel rods into each other to
initiate a prompt criticality, which resulted in another
near-simultaneous blast, which made for a much larger event than it
otherwise would have been.

The question I have of Mr. Gundersens and his assertion is, assuming we
did have a prompt criticality in part of the fuel stored there, how does
that result in such a violent explosion? That would get us a lot of heat
and radiation, for sure, but how does that translate into an explosion
unless there is some other vector present like water to flash into steam
(and it does not look much like a steam explosion to me)?

-Tom