[ RadSafe ] Is there a way to quantify the effect of the fear and stress caused by the fear mongering

Clayton J Bradt CJB01 at health.state.ny.us
Thu Apr 28 14:00:45 CDT 2011

I would like to respond to three related posts:

Rich Gallego:                   "Is there a way to quantify the effect of
the fear and stress caused by the
                                        fear mongering of articles like
these? The Los Angeles Times had an article
                                        this past Sunday on Chernobyl and
it appeared that suicide and depression
                                        were not insignificant effects of
the accident. One has to wonder what
                                        effect these exaggerated and
erroneous proclamations have on the people
                                        living close to the damaged
reactors."

Franz Schoenhofer:      "So my question to RADSAFE is, whether there are
any investigations known
                                        about the psychological effects of
the sensational exaggerations of the
                                        massmedia and the constant absurd
indoctrination with fear for life and
                                        health. I cannot find anything
like that in the two US papers I read daily
                                        on the internet (Washington Post
and USA Today), neither on Swedish
                                        newspapers."

Leo M. Lowe:                    "... one measure of the real impacts of
the fear and stress caused
                                        by Chernobyl is the number of
                                        induced abortions brought about by
perceived potential birth
                                        defects.  The number of excess
induced abortions in Europe due to
                                        this fear has been estimated in
the tens of thousands, and even
                                        higher."

Rich, Franz, and Leo,

        I did my undergraduate work and a year of grad school in
psychology - before I wised up and eventually switched to physics - so I
feel somewhat qualified to opine a little on the subject of psychological
"measurement". The quotation marks are significant here because any
measurement of psychological data, that is behavior, can never claim more
than nominal scale status.  Psychologists often attempt to measure
behavior by counting events, such as the number of abortions in a given
population over a defined time frame, and by doing so claim to have
achieved ordinal scale data thus allowing comparisons between populations
and time frames. The more abortions under conditions x,y,z, the greater
the effect, etc.  But this is an act of self-deception on the
psychologists' part because, continuing with our example, each abortion is
a unique event resulting ultimately from a singular set of circumstances,
motivations, stresses, etc. In order to count events, objects, apples or
oranges they must belong within a category of identicals.  Human behaviors
(at least) are each a singular event because behavior is determined by
perception and perception is ultimately context dependent. No two events
occur in exactly the same context and therefore cannot be counted as
repetitions from the same class of object.

In short, there is no legitimate way to quantify the psychological effects
of scare mongering or of any other behavior.  Scare mongering, and the
spreading of dis-information are best handled with the tools of moral
philosophy, not science.

Clayton J. Bradt
Principal Radiophysicist
NYS Dept. of Health
Biggs Laboratory, Room D486A
Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12201-0509

518-474-1993

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. It is intended only for the addressee. If you received this in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not distribute, copy or use it or any attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.