[ RadSafe ] Psychological Impacts of Chernobyl; Busby response

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Fri Apr 29 20:12:14 CDT 2011

April 29

         My comments will be interspersed with arrows before and
after them (<<<<< . . . >>>>>).

Steven Dapra

At 11:50 AM 4/29/2011, you wrote:
>Dear everyone,
>I have never claimed lots of abortions after Chernobyl. Just to put
>the matter straight.
>
>And regarding the Dapra statement, I have only just seen what he
>said about the infant leukemias. He is the second one of you to
>address this issue though it took him long enough.

<<<<<
         I am assuming that Dr. Busby means he just saw my reply to
him today --- Friday.  I posted the reply on the evening of Sunday
the 24th.  I also sent it to him via private e-mail on the morning of
the 26th.

         The reason it took me "long enough" is that first, as much
as I like RADSAFE I have a life
other than here.  Somewhat more to the point, I went to the library
and read some of the literature cited by Dr. Busby.

>Basically he is saying there were no excess infant leukemias in the
>Chernobyl fallout in utero cohort. The 5 difference groups got it
>wrong. Is that a fair analysis? Or have I missed something?
>Incidentally, the paper on the Scottish infant leukemias was by the
>Oxford-based Childhood cancer Research Group.

<<<<<
         I, Steven Dapra, did NOT say there were no excess infant
leukemias.  This was said by the researchers who studied the
leukemias.  I am merely quoting what they said.  If Dr. Busby finds
their conclusions objectionable, I suggest that he take it up with
the researchers and not with me.

         I do not know who the "5 difference groups" are, nor have I
read their studies.  Hence, I can not comment on what they said, nor
can I comment on whether or not they prepared a "fair analysis."

         Dr. Busby appears to be surprised by my quoting the cited
literature as saying there were no excess leukemias.  (He asks, "Or
have I missed something?")  I think he missed reading the literature
he cited, for if he had read it he would have found --- as I did, and
as I reported here --- that there were no excess leukemias.

         Dr. Busby did not give a citation (today) for the "the paper
on the Scottish infant leukemias" [I assume that it is the letter to
the Lancet by Gibson, et al.; (1988, 2, 630).]  If my assumption is
correct, this is not a paper, it is a letter of approximately one
column.  The authors (Gibson, Eden, Barrett, Stiller, and Draper) are
not identified in the Lancet as being connected with the Oxford-based
Childhood cancer Research Group.

>The French IRSN report saying that ICRP was questionable has been
>translated into English for those who cant read French.

<<<<<
         Since I don't know how to obtain the English translation, I
can't comment on the IRSN report.

>Well thats one way to do it I suppose. Cant argue with that. All 5
>goups made up the data. Nice one Steven.

<<<<<
         I'm not certain of how to construe this.  I didn't know
about the five difference groups until today.  If Dr. Busby is
insinuating that I did so, I emphatically and categorically deny that
I accused anyone of making up any data.

>By the way, what are Mr Dapras qualifications? Has he done any
>research? Has he published anything in the peer review literature? I
>havent found anything published by him or his sidekick Helbig.
>Except attacks on me of course.

<<<<<
         On April 26, M. Sato inquired about my credentials.  My
answer now is the same as my answer then.   If Dr. Busby --- or
anyone --- finds any errors of fact or interpretation in my critique
of his leukemias article please publish them here for all of us to
read and evaluate.

         Have I done any research?  I went to the library and read
the literature Dr. Busby cited --- that he apparently did not read,
as I noted above.  Does that constitute research?  Roger Helbig is
not my "sidekick."  I have never met Mr. Helbig, and know him only
through RADSAFE.

         As far as attacks are concerned, who derided Dr. Otto Raabe
about his work?  Who sneers at the ICRP and rather broadly suggests
that he knows more about radioactivity than it does?  Who called
Nature a "rag"?  Who derided me for taking so long to reply to Dr.
Busby's article?

>Sincerely
>Chris
>
>Marne