[ RadSafe ] Reporter's question about lower limits of detection

Fri Aug 5 16:41:17 CDT 2011

Hi, Matt.

I agree with everything everyone else has said.  I would just point out
that the exuberant enthusiasm some of the answers show is because we so
seldom get asked questions, let alone the right ones.  You are to be
complimented for doing so.

About the only bit that I might add is that if you were trying to
identify the source of the Sr-90 in fish, you might have to look at some
other isotopes.  Probably the best way to distinguish between material
that recently came from a reactor (or bomb, but that probably would have
been noticed in other ways) is to look at the Cs-137 to Cs-134 ratio.

Cs-137 and Sr-90 have similar half lives, and are often found together
in consistent ratios in a given media within a particular area.  Cs-137
and Cs-134 are produced in roughly the same amounts (on a per atom
basis) in most fission processes (though there may be ones I am not
aware of for which this is not true).  Because Cs-134 has a shorter
half-life than Cs-137, you can use the ratio of the two to get a time
since the event that introduced them into the environment.  Therefore,
if the ratio of Sr-90 to Cs-137 is as expected, the ratio of Cs-137 to
Cs-134 can tell you when the material entered the environment, and you
can see if that matches up with your suspected source.

<Humor>In practice it may be a little more complicated than this, but
that is mostly the rad-chemists whining.</Humor>