[ RadSafe ] Space travel, reactor enrichment

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Fri Aug 5 19:11:12 CDT 2011

Hey Radsafe:

       Yeah, cost of going to Mars using a  reactor is going to be high.
Reactor using Enriched
Uranium is dimensionally not all that large --- See Nerva, Prometheus and
all that.  The rest of the spaceship
could be considerable in size.

       Launch of reactor space ship from  Earth is apparently another
problem.  See some of my
emails in Radsafe Archive dealing with this problem.  Basically, one
builds the reactor spaceship
from modular parts up at the International Space station.  The modular
parts would be transported to
the ISS via chemical rockets.  Then assemble the reactor  /spaceship.

      Then turn the reactor on, load up the space  crew and supplies and
head to Mars or wherever.

      Once at Mars, the reactor spaceship is  placed in orbit around Mars.
A type of Lunar Landing
Module would be used to get to and from Mars.  Collect samples etc. on  the
surface of Mars.

      Return to the ISS.  Tether the  reactor/space ship to the ISS (or
somewhere else) and
let the crew return to Earth via the Space Shuttle II or some other
spacecraft or rocket system.

      Sure, it's expensive.  NASA needs to  work on something besides just
launching satellites.

      I need to do more calculations about launch  from Earth before I will
fully concede that a
reactor/spaceship cannot launch itself from the surface of the Earth.

      Have a good  weekend...     Regards,  Joseph R. (Joe) Preisig,  PhD

In a message dated 8/5/2011 2:25:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,