[ RadSafe ] Calculate Dose from Flash X-ray?

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Fri Aug 12 19:01:51 CDT 2011

Hi,

      I suspect MCNP can model (Monte Carlo  Neutral Particle Program) ,
your problem.
Buy MCNP and learn how to use it or find someone who will run the problem
for you.

      I'm not sure if MCNP can compute the X-rays  coming off the target.
Try EGS???

Your problem is  essentially a beam of electrons striking a target of known
geometry, and you  want
to find Roentgens/rad/rem (maybe someday I'll go SI) at some distance from
the target.
I expect, if I had MCNP running right now, that I could set up the problem
geometry in about
one day.  I probably could get you computational run results in about  a
day or two later.

     Nowadays, with my current PC, the runs might take  10 minutes to
several hours.  Back about
14 years ago, a run would probably take a full evening.

      One can set up an MCNP tally (Monte Carlo  modelling) detector at
various positions of
interest, one meter away (or whatever) from the target.  In MCNP  you would
specify the distance
and various angles (or x,y,z position) from the target.

      One would also have to specify the  characteristics of the electron
beam source, which you
seem to know.  I think MCNP has the ability for the user to supply a  time
dependent source term of
electrons.  If not, you could run MCNP multiple times with source on  and
source off?

      Heck, you could model neutrons in a reactor,  using MCNP's repeated
structures
capability.

      And you could even do some crude modelling  of initiation of a
nuclear device, if all the cross
section data is available.

     Fermi probably would have really liked to have a  copy of MCNP back
then.  I've read, he used
to do Monte Carlo calculations in his head at night (too much  expresso???).

     For more nuclear fun, google search on:   calutron, diffusion,
centrifuge and uranium,
strong focusing, alternating gradient, etc.

     Oh sometimes channeling has to do with people  trying to channel to
other beings???
The nuclear meaning of channeling can be found in the nuclear physics book
by Segre.
It has to do with directing a beam of electrons or protons (or  whatever)
along the principal???
axes??? of the crystal, and seeing what happens.  See gamma laser  also???

      Regards,    Joseph R. (Joe)  Preisig, PhD

                                 In a message dated 8/12/2011 7:00:43 P.M.