[ RadSafe ] DOT versus DOE 5400.5 and Other Authorized Limits

gv1 at aol.com gv1 at aol.com
Sat Aug 27 20:35:37 CDT 2011

A common example is low-level contaminated soil or Dry Active Waste.  There's byproduct material above the required free-release sensitivity limits, but it is below what is normally controlled by 49CFR.  If the material is waste, you have to generate a NRC 541 waste manifest, which then means you have to have a NRC 640 "DOT" manifest which drags you back into 49CFR for generating shipping papers.

In cases where I have 40' containers of laundry which might be an exempt qty and not need a waste paper since it is not waste, I would still ship as Class 7.  The primary purpose for the shipping paper is the emergency responder.  If my container gets into a wreck, people will get contaminated trying to clean it up.  If they don't find that out until after the fact rather than identifying it up front with a Class 7 shipping name, you will clearly be the bad guy.

There are a couple of shipping philosophies out there with a lot in between.  Some will spend an exhaustive amount of time trying to get out of Class 7 and some will say Class 7 when you have measurable radiation levels and the material comes up exempt qty.  I try to provide good commo to the public for the low-level cases as those that interact with your shipment would rather be aware of a low-level hazard, than an undeclared hazard.  I also understand that money is a big driver to have people spend so much time to trying to get out of Class 7.

In the end, don't put yourself into a low-margin condition as any inspector can always claim you were off by a few percent in anything you do and then you find yourself in violation space...

Glen