[ RadSafe ] Genetic Engineering, Evolution etc.

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Sat Aug 27 21:36:57 CDT 2011

Hey Radsafe,

    From:    _jpreisig at aol.com_ (mailto:jpreisig at aol.com)        .

    Hope your weekend is a bit dryer than what is going on  here in New
Jersey (USA).
    Rain and flooding are occuring here and I expect rain  will continue
all night.
    Hurricane Irene has killed people in North Carolina and  Virginia.  Not
good.

          I suspect a more  general model for human and animal
growth/development would include
    genetic engineering  (by Human's, Space  Aliens, the Lord etc.) and
perhaps some form of human
    evolution (from apes and/or early man).  I  guess evolution could also
occur for some animal,
    and organism groups.  My paleontologist friends  would probably give me
problems down the line
    eventually if I totally negate human evolution.  I  always kind of
suspected that human evolution
    from apes or early man was real.

         Evolution could be  assisted, unassisted, designed etc.

     Genetic (direct) engineering appears to be fairly  discrete (not
necessarily continuous).
     Certain animals are created genetically without  evolution.  I'm not
saying mutations couldn't occur.
     Mutations do occur.

           Evolution of  man and perhaps other animals is rather continuous
(not necessarily  discrete).
     Discreteness versus continuous behavior may have  implications for
math modelling of these
     phenomena.  Causality may be important  also.  Causality may be quite
difficult to prove
     rigorously.

           On a related  topic, we humans (and medical doctors and
researchers and  technicians)
      are getting real close to being able to  severely treat and/or limit
disease and production of
      birth defects.

       Processes involved:

       1. Genetic Screening --- keep bad  genetic effects from going
forward in newborn individual
                                           humans.

       2.   Lab Grown and  donated body organs  --- grow body organs and
fix/replace failing  body
              organs.

        3.    Do gene  therapy to help patients with diseases and difficult
symptoms.

        4.    Treat  Cancer via surgery, laser burning/removal of
tissue/cancers, chemotherapy,
                radiation therapy etc.

        5.    Use  aspirin, HCl compounds, blood thinners, anti-clotting
drugs to keep veins,  arteries
                etc. from clotting.

        6.    Any other  ideas???

      Sorry if I am stepping on any toes by  presenting ideas from biology,
radiation etc.textbooks
      already published..  I don't do much in  the way of literature
searches usually.  Also my education is
      fairly long ago now and TV leads me to ideas  also; it is difficult
for me to always remember
      specifically where/when I  learned what.  My background is Rutgers
Physics, Rutgers Health
      Physics, SUNY/Binghamton Geology/Geophysics,  some time spent at
Goddard Space Center
      (NASA/Maryland, USA), a summer spent at  the Colorado School of Mines
(Health Physics/
      Digital Electronics, time at Brookhaven Lab  etc.

           Let's be  careful out there!!!!

            Regards,    Joseph R. (Joe) Preisig, PhD

.