[ RadSafe ] Infinite Thickness of KCl

Nielsen.Erik at epamail.epa.gov Nielsen.Erik at epamail.epa.gov
Tue Aug 30 11:49:54 CDT 2011

I am trying to determine the infinite thickness of the 1460 keV gamma
emission (10.5% abundance) of a planar source of KCl (416 pCi/g) and a
density of 1.98 g/cc.

In other words, what is the thickness of a KCl planar source where any
additional thickness does not increase the surface dose rate?

I have scoured my references but have not located the appropriate formula
for calculating this value.

I would appreciate any references or suggestions for an appropriate
calculation.

Erik C. Nielsen
USEPA, National Air and Radiation Environmental Laboratory
540 South Morris Ave.
Montgomery, AL 36115
Phone 334-270-3475
Fax 334-270-3454

"Those who do not read are no better off than those who cannot"