[ RadSafe ] Nuc Med pt x-contamination of other people

radbloom at comcast.net radbloom at comcast.net
Fri Dec 2 09:40:19 CST 2011

Brian,

Early on in my career, I surveyed and decontaminated I-131 patients' rooms.  After one visit of bagging contaminated bedsheets and tissues (littered around the room for some reason - maybe the patient had a cold), cleaning toilets, sinks and floors, I found that my shoe cover had failed and my boot was contaminated.  A couple years later, I shared a construction work trailer with a man who had undergone a Tl-201 stress test.  It was a good opportunity to show folks that radiation is all around us and easily moved.  The toilet, the wall behind it and the floor and the sink were all contaminated.  Cleaning between visitors resulted in no contamination found on other surveyed personnel, but I feel certain that if we hadn't cleaned, we would have seen some (low level, probably no more than 100,000 dpm and typically less than 10,000 dpm ) contamination of folks' shoes, clothes and body parts.  Sweat, nasal mucous, saliva, tears, blood, urine, and feces are all known vectors for contamination spread from in vivo medical radionuclide use.

Cindy