[ RadSafe ] Fwd: Contamination

Bob Cherry bobcherry at satx.rr.com
Sat Dec 3 15:46:24 CST 2011

A little more background on the Tripler Army Medical Center (TAMC) case:

TAMC self-reported it although, at that time, NRC regulations did not
require this incident to be reported because the administration was to a
patient in accordance with physician's orders. The NRC could not cite TAMC
for the ablation of the infant's thyroid for the same reason. The NRC
subsequently changed 10 CFR 35 to address situations like this.

The patient was from the Marshall Islands and did not know English. TAMC
brought in a translator to talk to her. She was asked the question about
nursing an infant because that question was on the form being translated.
Apparently something got lost in the translation because TAMC gained the
impression that she was not a nursing mother.

The NRC investigated the incident and ended up issuing a notice of violation
for not having the patient sign the interview form. The NRC was going to
fine TAMC for this, probably because of the bad outcome for the infant. The
Army strongly objected to the fine because of self-reporting and TAMC did
everything else in compliance (not counting the mistranslation). Forms were
properly signed for every thyroid ablation at TAMC except for this single
occurrence and signing the form for this incident would not have changed the
unfortunate outcome for the infant. The NRC backed away from a fine for
TAMC.

I was at TAMC's higher headquarters when this happened. When I mentioned the
incident to an Air Force colleague (Hi, Ed!), he told me that a similar
incident had occurred at an Air Force medical center a few years earlier
that the Air Force did not report to the NRC.

When an NRC staffer (and former Army officer) was speaking at an Army
conference about this incident (before the NRC made its final decision about
the fine) and said the NRC was inclined to make an example of the Army over
this incident, I stood up and said if the NRC did that, the real lesson
would be to not self-report something when NRC regulations do not require a
report. Further, the NRC should have been grateful to some small extent that
the Army brought a shortcoming in its regulations to NRC attention rather
than punishing the Army for it.

Bob C