[ RadSafe ] Nuc Med pt x-contamination of other people

ZIC Joe -PICKERING joe.zic at opg.com
Sun Dec 4 08:14:08 CST 2011

Brain,

Working at a nuclear station, our exit monitors are set at very low levels compared to what is measured on / from patients following radiopharmaceutical treatment.  We've seen everything from contamination being picked up on the floor around toilets to "cross contamination" from spouses.  Due to these complications, we have proceduralized that staff undergoing any radiopharmaceutical treatments contact us prior to returning to work, so that we can determine any required follow-up actions (i.e. limit access to the protected area of the station, calculate how long it will be before they can clear our entry / exit portal monitors, inform their supervision of work restrictions, etc...).

Most of our staff are very surprised regarding how much dose they receive from these treatments / scans (compared to the low doses they receive at work) and how long it takes for them to clear our monitors (depending on the kind of radiopharmaceutical treatment they had).

Josip Zic   M.Sc, CHP
Health Physicist
Ontario Power Generation