[ RadSafe ] [EXTERNAL] Bq/kg soil

Dennis Quinn dqdx at aol.com
Mon Dec 5 18:22:48 CST 2011

A quick run of Resrad shows the following:
Keep in mind that there are many assumptions, and this can be considered a
gross estimate:

5,000 Bq/kg Cs-137, with the following pathways: Ground shine, inhalation,
soil (consumption through cross contamination) and water ingestion:
2.7 mSv per year at start (year 0), 2.1 mSv per year at year 10, and 0.8 mSv
per year at year 50.

Using the same concentration with the same pathways PLUS vegetable
consumption, meat ingestion, milk ingestion (assuming the vegetables, meat
and milk are  from the land with 5000 Bq/kg Cs-137), then the results are
slightly higher:
3.0 mSv/year at year 0, 2.4 mSv/yr at year 10, and 0.9 mSv/yr at year 50.
The ground shine is 90% of the dose; and the vegetation consumption is about
8% and meat consumption about 2% of the totals.

Regards,
Dennis Quinn

Dennis Quinn, CHP
DAQ, Inc.