[ RadSafe ] [EXTERNAL] Bq/kg soil

Dennis Quinn dqdx at aol.com
Tue Dec 6 09:11:26 CST 2011

Karen,
Yes, this is local consumption; however, the dose if used for a large
agricultural farm would be similar, assuming an individual received all the
food from that farm.  Most likely individuals would only receive part of
their food source from any one farm.
The term ecological half life I assume means that it's related to the amount
of time the radionuclide is available to the ecosystem.  Resrad considers
that to an extent, but only to the extent that it is available on the
surface (or not).   Cesium tends to bind with soil and is not transferred
down through the soil to the water table easily, so the dose will primarily
be from the direct dose from the gamma rays due to surface cesium.  Other
radionuclides will be different.
Since most of the dose is from the surface, remediation of the surface layer
(removal) or covering with a layer of clean soil could be effective.
Regards,
Dennis Quinn

Dennis Quinn, CHP
dqdx at aol.com