[ RadSafe ] Genotoxicity of U

Fri Dec 16 10:31:46 CST 2011

Actually, one would expect it to have shown up in the miners in the Ore
Mountains, where the radon levels were high enough that the increase in
lung cancer was noticeable during medieval times.  Or in the pottery
workers who worked with uranium in glazes, in high concentrations and
conditions where contamination control wasn't even a concept.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Steven Dapra
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2011 6:03 PM
To: radsafe at agni.phys.iit.edu
Subject: [ RadSafe ] Genotoxicity of U

Dec. 15, 2011

	It seems to me that if uranium was a genotoxin its effects would

show up first in uranium miners and in uranium workers such as
employees in gaseous diffusion plants.  (I am assuming that a
genotoxin is a substance that would damage DNA and lead to birth
defects.)

	Has an excessive amount of birth defects been found --- even
anecdotally --- in uranium miners or workers?

Steven Dapra