[ RadSafe ] Mules Contribute to Cleanup of California Radiation Site

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 22:09:22 CST 2011

Great photo!

And a great reason to use an equine in difficult terrain.  I covered several
hundred kilometers in Northern Austria on my old horse, Boo, following
Chernobyl, scintillation counter in my saddlebags.  I learned a great deal
about dry and wet deposition of radionuclides (R/Ns) and about how R/Ns coat
the leaves in the forest providing significantly more radiation than in
grassy fields or farmed land.  Altogether, a valuable experience.

I have a project in mind for one of my horses next spring riding fields in
the San Luis Valley in Southern Colorado with a 3x3" NaI(Tl) crystal and
1024 channel spectrometer (if the sample rate is high enough, or the horse
is slow enough).  I'll be collecting data with an ADC and GPS on a laptop.
The intent is to study radium deposition in soils proximal to a uranium
feature (regional redox-controlled, roll-front).  Hopefully, this will
inform my soil-sampling plan. And, of course, I will be looking in detail at
the mineralogy of the soils involved...

I suspect that uranium / radium was redistributed from high-volume
irrigation wells near the redox front over the last 100 years of irrigated
farming.  And, of course, I'll be looking to contract for 500 bales of good
horse hay!

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/te_1396_web.pdf
pp.289-315

Dan ii