[ RadSafe ] The coming cancer [ABSURDLY OVERESTIMATED ] cost from Fukushma according to Gundersen

Stewart Farber SAFarber at optonline.net
Fri Dec 23 19:54:41 CST 2011

Howard,

Don’t miss my point.  What I was getting at is you should put all the health risks [mortality and morbidity ]  about alternate energy cycles of the table and consider them on an equal basis [including LNT applied to radiation and conventional air pollution factors from nuclear, coal, or gas], in terms of detriment per unit energy produced,  nuclear energy comes out  as having the lowest health and environmental impact. I’m not arguing that the LNTH is  accurate or defensible.

You don’t have to try and convince legislators, regulators, and the public that LNT does not apply whether from nuclear energy or fossil fuel sources.  Simply take it as a given imposed by the regulatory environment.  LNT almost certainly overestimates risk from nuclear energy but so what? Nuclear ends up looking better than other cycles. Other risks from accidents or chemical risks related to other fuel cycles [mining, manufacturing components, transportation, operations, etc. ] also dwarf nuclear risk.

Random issues on alternate cycles: Wind turbines have killed at least 88 people in a recent partial summary of documented accidents.   Workers at wind turbines have been cut in half by falling ice, sucked into generator gearing in the nacelle [as big as a school bus], thrown off towers to their death due to a LOBA [Loss of Blade Accident] and killed by many other factors.  At least 25 members of the public have been documented as killed in a variety of  transportation accidents from shipping components for wind turbine construction [the blades are over 70 meters long].

I have an article  in my files where a 30” diameter natural gas pipeline in TX  [operating at 550 psi] exploded, killing 6 and injuring 43 at a nearby trailer park.  A 20 meter length of the pipe was REPLACED THE NEXT DAY and the pipeline RESUMED OPERATION WITHIN within 24 hours.  Imagine if a nuclear energy related transport accident killed 6. Anti-nuclear activists all over the world would be using it as a self-serving excuse to get face-time with the media, and call to shut down the entire nuclear industry forever.

Less than a week ago, a drilling Platform for gas production was being towed to a new location off the coast of Russia and sank. It appears 50 men out of a 67 man crew on the platform during its transport have been lost and are presumed dead in the icy waters where the accident occurred. See:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/269517/20111219/russian-oil-rig-accident-death-toll-storm.htm

Unless I missed it, I haven’t noticed any anti-nuclear groups of “Concerned Scientists” or physicians for “Social Responsibility” expressing any concern about 50 workers killed related to gas production.  The silence is deafening in these “environmentalists” ignoring other energy cycles while blatantly manipulating statistics to mislead people about nuclear power issues.

Howard, it appears there is a minor typo to correct in your post. You write:

“My counter found just 15 mR/hr 100 feet from reactors and storage yard

( vs 25 mR/hr from the granite sinks in the Phoenix hotel).”

What is shown as mR/hour should almost certainly read   micro-R/hour  [uR/hour] or you’ve got some very unusual, contaminated granite in the Phoenix hotel.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health