[ RadSafe ] Forwarded to the list: Indian Point License extension.

Douglas Minnema DouglasM at DNFSB.GOV
Wed Dec 28 08:59:52 CST 2011

I have a question for the group regarding Dr. Friedman's comments
below.

It was my understanding that there was a general consensus that the
primary releases at Fukushima came from the damaged reactors, and that
the spent fuel in the fuel pools was not significantly damaged.
Associated with that conclusion was the hypothesis that the hydrogen
explosion in reactor 4 was due to an inadvertent leak path from one of
the other reactors.

At least, that was the understanding as of the special session held at
the summer ANS conference.  Is there new information that has changed
that understanding?

Thanks,

Doug Minnema, PhD, CHP

>>> Jeff Terry <terryj at iit.edu> 12/27/2011 11:57 PM >>>
Forwarded.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Laurence F Friedman <friedmanla at iit.edu>
> Subject: Indian Point License extension
> Date: December 27, 2011 8:32:24 AM CST
> To: radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu
>

> Victor Gilinsky, an NRC Commissioner during the Three Mile Island
accident, wrote an op-ed piece for the New York Times opposing the
20-year extension of the Indian Point operating
license.http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/17/opinion/is-indian-point-the-next-fukushima.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/27/opinion/indian-pt-and-fukushima-alike-or-not.html?_r=1.

> While Gilinsky is partially correct in his statement that
containments were not designed to resist a full meltdown in fact at
Three Mile Island more than half the fuel melted and the pressure vessel
wasn’t damaged. The containment wasn’t even challenged. The report of
the international commission that investigated the condition of the
pressure vessel is available from this page
http://guides.library.iit.edu/content.php?pid=27903&sid=205068.
Scroll down to “Three Mile Island.” In any case, most of the releases at
Fukushima came from the spent fuel pools, not the reactors themselves.