[ RadSafe ] Forwarded to the list: Indian PointLicenseextension.

Fri Dec 30 13:04:56 CST 2011

A book well worth reading in its own right, "Lucifer's Hammer"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer%27s_Hammer), discusses the effect
of one of those "when, not if" mega-disasters; Earth being hit by a
comet.  The authors included a nuclear power plant in the San Joaquin
Valley, which fairs much better than the civilization around it (OK,
Niven and Pournelle played with reality a little to have it survive, but
only a little).  The book won a Hugo Award, and Walter Alvarez (one of
the people who figured out what put paid to the dinosaurs) described it
as the best description of a comet impact that he ever read.

While I don't expect nuclear power plants to actually survive "the big
one", I don't expect any other parts of the power system to do so,
either.  As a great Canadian philosopher once said, "Sometimes you're
hosed, ay?"

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Jeff Terry
Sent: Friday, December 30, 2011 10:27 AM
To: franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Forwarded to the list: Indian
PointLicenseextension.

I believe that was my point. We accept risks by doing anything. Either
we do the best we can do given rational constraints or we don't. I don't
think that it is surprising at all that humanity has survived until now.
Humans used to accept reasonable risk to ensure the betterment of the
species. Hunting, mining, etc. were dangerous but were done.

It is now that the species had become so risk averse that I fear for its
survival.

Maybe I went overboard with my examples. Let me give a more common
example, in the US we do not protect underground lines from backhoes.
People routinely did in to these causing gas leaks, etc.

You design to accommodate failure whatever its cause, anticipated or
not.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 30, 2011, at 12:03 PM, franz.schoenhofer at chello.at wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> The risks you describe are not at all restricted to nuclear power.
Ever heard of landslides, inundations, tornados? You as an American
citizen should know much better than me!

> So what? The human race is subject since millions of years to all kind
of "environmental" impact and especially disasters. Surprisingly it
survived until now.....

> ---- Jeff Terry <terryj at iit.edu> schrieb:
>> You have to design systems so that you can react and deal with an
unanticipated events.

>> You cannot design in protection from even all anticipated events. For
example, we know that at some point a large body from space will hit the
earth, we know that Yellowstone will erupt again. These are events so
large in impact that they protection from these events cannot be
designed in.

>> You either accept the risk in power generation or you do not.
>>
>> Jeff
>>

>> On Sep 30, 2004, at 11:03 PM, Steven Dapra wrote:
>>
>>> Dec. 30
>>>
>>>       "every possibility"?
>>>
>>>       Given the limitless imaginations and the lurid fantasies of
the anti-nukers I suspect this could become an exquisitely long list.

>>>       Have you examined all the possibilities of the dangers that go
along with driving your car?  Elephant gets loose from the circus,
wanders across the road while you're rushing to the reactor in an
emergency response.  You broadside the elephant, killing it; and a band
of crazed PETA members wielding pitchforks and staves descends on you. .
. .

>>> Steven Dapra

Browns

According