No subject

Sat Dec 17 10:13:44 CST 2011

Human error, organisational or technical problems, natural disasters or
terrorist attack, sabotage or acts of war mean that even the newest and
most sophisticated can lead to significant radioactive leaks similar to
Chernobyl and Fukushima."

It is a shame that Greenpeace has so little confidence in their position
that they feel the need to "lawyer lie" (say things that, while taken on
their face are not untrue, but that are intended to make people believe
things that are false.)  In this case a truer statement would be, "No
human construct is guaranteed safe."  Indeed, even "nature" is not without
its hazards, as the multiple mass extinctions that happened without human
assistance testify.

Nuclear power has risks associated with it, but on an energy unit basis
the are not as great in routine operation as coal, nor as great in
catastrophic failure as hydro.  That Greenpeace choose to present the
risks of nuclear power in isolation to me says they are either ignorant
(which I don't believe) or dishonest.
******************************
I prefer to view the problem as being the definition of "safe". As used
here by Greenpeace and Mike, "safe" is synonymous with "absolutely risk
free". But nobody uses the term this way in colloquial speech. When we say
it is "safe to cross the street" or "safe to go swimming" or "safe to fly
in a plane" we don't mean that these activities are risk free, we mean
that the level of risk is acceptable, not inordinately high, or comparable
to the risks we assume in normal everyday living.  If the BIER committee
had used the normal definition of safe, they would have found that there
IS such a thing as a safe level of radiation exposure.   EPA would admit
that there are safe levels of residential radon. ... And most of us would
be out of work.

Clayton J. Bradt
Principal Radiophysicist
NYS Dept. of Health
Biggs Laboratory, Room D486A
Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12201-0509

518-474-1993

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. It is intended only for the addressee. If you received this in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not distribute, copy or use it or any attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.