[ RadSafe ] Into Eternity; new film on radwaste opens in NY

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Tue Feb 1 19:46:40 CST 2011

Feb. 1

         Thirty years ago we were being told that day after tomorrow
we would either be blown to bits in a nuclear war, or we would all
freeze in a nuclear winter.  Now we're being told we must keep
radwaste isolated for 100,000 years.  Does the right hand know what
the left hand is doing?

Steven Dapra

At 04:01 PM 2/1/2011, you wrote:
> >From NIRS on "Into Eternity", the latest anti-nuclear power film about long
>term radwaste disposal.
>
>Below is an announcement of a new film on radioactive waste disposal that
>will be making its U.S. debut in New York City on Wednesday, February 2,
>2011.

[edit]

>*"This place is not a place of honour. *
>
>*No esteemed deeds are commemorated here. This is not a place for you. What
>is here is dangerous and repulsive. The danger will still be present in your
>time, as it is in ours."*
>
>* *
>
>These are the sentences that future man will meet if he finds and opens the
>gigantic network of underground tunnels which are presently being hewn out
>of the bedrock in Finland.  The tunnels will be filled with high-level
>radioactive waste, which must be kept isolated from human beings and other
>live organisms for at least 100.000 years into the future so as not to
>render large areas uninhabitable.
>
>Not only must the facility last 10 times longer than any manmade
>construction ever, it must also be able to resist all thinkable climate
>changes, erosion, evolution. The real challenge, however, is to secure the
>facility from human intrusion.  To succeed with that is vital in order to
>keep future man safe and prevent the waste from escaping into the biosphere.
>When the waste has been deposited, the facility will be sealed off, never to
>be opened again. But can we ensure that? How is it possible to warn future
>man of the waste we left behind? How do we prevent them from thinking they
>have found the pyramids of our time, mystical burial grounds, hidden
>treasures? Which languages and signs will they understand, and if they
>understand, will they respect our instructions?
>
>These are among the many thought-provoking questions pondered in *INTO
>ETERNITY.*

[edit]