[ RadSafe ] Thorium! Thorium reactor remixed lecture in16 minutes

Thu Feb 3 15:33:28 CST 2011

This isn't my particular area, but I've done some reading on it, and I
think the best answer is, "it depends".  The fissile material in the
Th232 cycle is U233, which is just fine for making weapons.  However,
U232 is also produced, and with a half-life of 69 years is screaming
hot.  The process for removing uranium from salt is probably easier than
the process of removing plutonium from spent nuclear fuel, especially
commercial fuel.  On the other hand, the U233+U232 is way harder to
handle than plutonium.

If you care about the people involved in working with it.

If, on the other hand, your organization does not worry about retirement
and long-term disability programs, options open up.

That being said, I think we are fools if we don't do at least R&D, and
preferably build a couple.  I think there are a lot of multi-use options
available when you don't have to worry so much about containment.  (on
the other hand, thousands of tons of molten radioactive salt has its own
non-trivial challenges if thing go wrong.)