[ RadSafe ] How Poisoning of the Minds Works

Roger Helbig rhelbig at sfo.com
Mon Feb 7 02:12:45 CST 2011

They are after everything from mining uranium on - fiction abounds and fact
is probably completely foreign to these types of indoctrination sessions.

Roger Helbig

Hi Nuclear Free Friends and Colleagues,

Over the past two weeks Peace Boat hosted about the most amazing experience
of my anti-nuclear life, bringing 9 Hibakusha recently appointed as "Special
Communicators for a World Without Nuclear Weapons" by the government of
Japan together with 5 Tahitians working on the impact of French nuclear
testing, plus 5 Japanese high school student Peace Ambassadors as well as 5
Australians, four Aboriginal women from uranium mining affected areas and
myself.  We learned from one another's testimony about the impact of the
nuclear fuel chain on our lives, and forged friendships that will continue,
hopefully through a Global Hibakusha Network.

The statement we negotiated (attached in English, French and Japanese)
represents a breakthrough of sorts in that the group was able to assert
unequivocally that radiation itself is the problem - whatever its source -
and called for investment in truly clean energy, the kind if inalienable
right everyone can get behind in a fragile and finite world facing climate
change.

The boat arrived yesterday to Tahiti and we spent a full day learning more
about the impact of French nuclear testing, with recent developments
including alarming information about the degrading of the atolls.  Our visit
and message was timely and received a lot of media coverage.

Peace Boat, with Akira Kawasaki leading its nuclear free work, is a bold and
ambitious project that invests in face to face encounters, particularly
focusing on empowering young people.  I am even more inspired and indebted
to its great work.

Please feel free to distribute the statement far and wide.

best wishes

Felicity Hill

Global Hibakusha Forum Statement for a Nuclear-Free World

We Global Hibakusha from Japan, Australia and Tahiti came together on Peace
Boat from 23 January – 5 February 2011 to share testimony, information and
our vision for a nuclear-free future. We have reached consensus on the
statement below and will continue to exchange to realise our goals by
increasing cooperation and networking.

Hibakusha is the name given to those who survived the bombing of Hiroshima
and Nagasaki 66 years ago with nuclear weapons which are indiscriminate.
There are now 2nd and 3rd generation Hibakusha and overseas Hibakusha, who
were exposed to the atomic bomb and later moved to another country. They
suffer the inter-generational genetic affects of their parent’s and
grandparent’s exposure to ionising radiation. They demand recognition that
does not discriminate based on nationality and their country of residence.

Hibakusha have suffered discrimination, and yet they have courageously
re-lived the events of 6 August and 9 August 1945 to teach about why
horrific and cruel nuclear weapons must never be used again. We celebrate
the endurance, strength and determination of Hibakusha and encourage and
remember their testimony. We join their call for genuine peace education in
our schools. We join their call for the total abolition of nuclear weapons
through a Nuclear Weapons Convention to rid the world of these weapons that
have been described as “weapons of terror” by the Blix Commission on Weapons
of Mass Destruction.[1]

We define the term “Global Hibakusha” to mean all victims of radiation at
each link in the nuclear chain - uranium mining, nuclear reactors, nuclear
accidents, nuclear weapons development and testing, and nuclear waste. We
recognise that Indigenous people have suffered radioactive racism through
being targeted for uranium mining, nuclear testing and nuclear waste
dumping. This has contaminated their land, water, culture, economies and
health.

Ionizing radiation is a toxic poison that damages our DNA - the genetic
material in living cells. The nuclear age has introduced radiation in forms
that can become airborne and breathed in, or find their way into the water
table and gene pool, entirely unlike naturally occurring background
radiation. Nuclear testing scattered radiation poison across land and water
and continues to be a present danger, which in Polynesia still threatens the
collapse of atolls around Moruroa and Fangataufa. Nuclear reactors routinely
release radiation.  Nuclear waste stockpiles are growing daily, and include
tonnes of plutonium which will remain toxic for 250,000 years.

Each link in the nuclear fuel chain releases radiation – beginning with
drilling for uranium. To protect future generations and prevent future
Hibakusha we must stop creating more radiation, and phase out all sources.
We must invest in renewable clean energy for a sustainable future.

Instead of truthful data about radiation, we have received official
government denial, self-serving control of information and refusal to
redress the shameful wrongs.  Governments must make the archives of
information about Hiroshima and Nagasaki, about Fangataufa and Moruroa, and
about Maralinga transparent, accepting responsibility for the damages and
injuries caused. Resolving the effects of nuclear activity and the nuclear
threat is a matter of our survival. We cannot contain nuclear dangers,
contain environmental damage or support the sick and dying without truthful
information.

We Global Hibakusha desperately request
-          That governments immediately commence negotiations on a Nuclear
Weapons Convention, with a goal of presenting their final treaty to the 2015
NPT Review Conference and completing the disarmament processes by 2020.
-          That governments address climate change by investing in clean and
renewable energy sources.
-          That all civil society groups, NGOs, media, youth and religious
organisations redouble their efforts towards a nuclear-free world.
-          That responsible governments officially apologise for their
nuclear crimes.
-          That governments disclose all medical and environmental records
on radiation exposure.
-          Peace education, including the truth about the nuclear age, be
part of official school curricula.
-          Proper compensation and proper subsidised medical treatment for
all Global Hibakusha.
-          Court cases made by Global Hibakusha for truth, justice,
recognition, compensation, environmental clean up and health treatment
require support from civil society and sincere response from governments.
-          Governments should develop public contingency and evacuation
plans for populations potentially affected by nuclear accidents and
incidents.
-          Retaining of Article 9 of the Japanese Constitution which
renounces war and inclusion and implementation of similar clauses in all
constitutions.
-          The conversion of the 1.5 trillion global military budget to
health and education programmes and measures that address our real security
challenges such as climate change and poverty.

No More Hibakushas!  No More Global Hibakushas!
No More Hiroshima!  No More Nagasaki! No More War!

Adopted 5 February 2011 on Peace Boat
Papeete, Tahiti
[1]   The International Weapons of Mass Destruction Commission, chaired by
Dr. Hans Blix and supported by the Swedish Government, published its Final
Report Weapons of Terror: Freeing the World of Nuclear, Chemical and
Biological Arms  in June 2006. English, French, Japanese and other versions
of the Report are available at: http://www.wmdcommission.org/

Youth Statement

We, youth from Japan, Australia and Tahiti came together from 23 January – 5
February 2011 to participate in the Hibakusha Project on Peace Boat.

We have learned about each other’s countries and how they have been affected
by nuclear issues. We have identified the problems and solutions. The goal
of a nuclear free future must be achieved.

We strongly believe that now is the time to speak out, teach, learn and
seriously confront global nuclear problems. This will require educating in
our schools and communities to overcome indifference and the manipulation
caused by the one-sided information of the nuclear age.

As a generation born into a world with nuclear weapons, we directly face the
threat of radiation on our health and our environment. Not only is this a
big concern for us, we must also consider that many future generations will
be affected by the mistakes of the last 66 years. We want to pass on
knowledge about the horror of nuclear weapons and radiation.  Our wish is
for a peaceful world for all the generations to come.

We want to create a student network that goes beyond national borders to
frequently share the information we learn through our activities in each
location. Our goal is to expand the activities already exists, such as the
10,000 petition campaign, extending the Japanese student’s Peace Messenger’s
activity or Networking to a global level. We also want to create
documentaries, animations, comic books, webpage’s, songs and books to
promote awareness about the urgency to abolish nuclear weapons.

“National security” is used as a justification for nuclear weapons. We
believe there is no security for nations or individuals in a world with
nuclear weapons. When some nations stubbornly hold onto their nuclear
weapons, other nations will want them. This creates a domino effect that
must be broken.

Governments and politicians should make nuclear disarmament an urgent
priority. Governments must also acknowledge the existence and rights of
nuclear victims, rather than hiding information and medical records using
the “secret defense” stamp. Nuclear victims must receive adequate
compensation; currently compensation is not sufficient or non-existent.

Radiation pollution from the past, as well as the radioactive waste created
by today’s nuclear industry affects everything it touches in our ecosystem
as well as people and the culture we inherit.

The nuclear industry creates risks of radiation leakage, earthquakes,
tsunamis, and contaminating coral reefs and sea life. We can prevent this
for happening if we all take a part in cleaning up affected areas, speaking
out more about nuclear issues, promote awareness and knowledge about the
health and diseases.

Some youth hesitate to be involved in serious nuclear issues because they
simply don't know the risks.

Our goal is to increase youth involvement by expanding our networks and
creating fun activities while promoting awareness. By reaching out
internationally and in our own regions we are becoming even more powerful
and strong.

We believe that despite the differences of language and cultural background,
we can come together on this issue as one: No more excuse! No more
ignorance! Make a change!

Adopted 5 February 2011 by Youth Group members of Global Hibakusha Forum –
Pacific
Papeete, Tathiti

Global Hibakusha Forum - Pacific
Yokohama, Japan to Papeete, Tahiti
23 January – 5 February 2011
Participants

AUSTRALIA
Della Rae MORRISON                      Western Australian Nuclear Free
Alliance
Felicity HILL                                        Research and Policy
Advisor to Senator Scott Ludlam
Veronica WELLINGS*                        Gundjeihmi Aboriginal Corporation
Vernadine HARDY*                            Gundjeihmi Aboriginal
Corporation
Frear ALDERSON*                             Gundjeihmi Aboriginal
Corporation

TAHITI
Régis Haamarurai GOODING           Moruroa e Tatou, Former nuclear test site
worker
Heiava Myrna LENOIR                      Moruroa e Tatou
Teva DOOM*
Allan Tanuanua GOODING*               2nd generation of nuclear test site
worker
Marc PUGIBET*

JAPAN
Global Voyage for a Nuclear-Free World Participants
FUKAHORI Akira
HIRAI Shoso
NISHIDA Goro
OKUMURA Eiji
SUENAGA Hiroshi
TAKAHASHI Setsuko
TASAKI Noboru
TSUBOI Susumu
YAMANAKA Emiko
MARUO Ikuro                                     2nd generation Hibakusha
SAKAGUCHI Hiroko                          2nd generation Hibakusha

High School Peace Messengers
KONNO Eriko*
OGAMI Sakurako*
SASO Haruka*
SUZUKI Keiji*
YAMAGUCHI Marie*

Forum Host - Peace Boat
KAWASAKI Akira
ISHII Mariko
Laure NOREST
UE Yasuho

Communication Coordinators
Sophia SWANSON, IWAMOTO Noriko*, OGASAWARA Sumie and OSAKI Inaho*
Photo and Videographer
UMEWAKA Naotomo