[ RadSafe ] Increase in Cancer Risk due to Cardiac Imaging

Fri Feb 11 16:05:42 CST 2011

Hi, Franz.

I am glad the procedure was successful.  I agree with your conclusion, which is in agreement with my contention that compared to a short term consequence of death, there are few long term consequences that can be considered too negative.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu [mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Franz Schönhofer
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:08 PM
To: 'The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) MailingList'; radsafe at agni.phys.iit.edu
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Increase in Cancer Risk due to Cardiac Imaging

Leo,

A short comment by somebody who has been a patient:

About ten years ago I had a coronary infarction and I underwent the usual
intervention locating the block of blood flow and with balloon dilatation.
When the surgeon was about to set stents he asked me, whether I would agree
to participate in a research project, in which they were testing
P-32-stents. Of course I agreed. I had also agreed to let them check after
certain times the status of the blood vessel. It was done two times and I
was happy to hear that there were no "candy wrappers" at the end of the
stents and I have lived ever since a life in relatively good health.

My conclusion: This extra radiation may have saved my life and helped to
restore my health. Therefore I do not care for the increase in cancer risk
of 3%.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD