[ RadSafe ] Gamma background radiation at ground level

Felipe Gaitan gaitan at impulsedevices.com
Wed Feb 23 10:59:18 CST 2011

Mike - What's the relative increase (%) in these two examples? Thanks, Felipe

On Feb 23, 2011, at 6:21 AM, McNaughton, Michael wrote:

> There is a similar system at Los Alamos: newnet.lanl.gov (without www).
>
> Regarding cosmic rays, I have studied the data during supernovas, solar flares, etc., and the most I have ever seen at ground level is an increase of about 0.5 micro-R per hour; the atmosphere is a good shield, even at an altitude of 7500 feet.
>
> Almost all the variations that we observe are caused by radon decay products (Bi-214 etc.) Sometimes, during a rain or snow storm, we observe an increase of as much as 10 micro-R per hour. We know it is caused by radon decay products because it decays with the expected combination of half lives.
>
> mike

D. Felipe Gaitan, Ph.D.
Chief Research Scientist
Impulse Devices, Inc.
13366 Grass Valley Av.  Unit H
Grass Valley, CA  95945
Phone: 530-273-6500 Ext. 112
Fax:  530-273-6566
email: gaitan at impulsedevices.com
website: http://impulsedevices.com

THIS INFORMATION IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE ADDRESSEE(S) AND MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, OR PROPRIETARY INFORMATION. IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, OR THE EMPLOYEE OR AGENT RESPONSIBLE FOR DELIVERING THE MESSAGE TO THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, DISPLAYING, COPYING, OR USE OF THIS INFORMATION IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.