[ RadSafe ] State regulatory authority -was: body dose - witholding data

Egidi, Phil Phil.Egidi at dphe.state.co.us
Fri Feb 25 13:54:20 CST 2011

Clayton,
The State regulates uranium mining, however it is the Land Agencies (Division of Minerals and Geology) that issue mine permits and perform inspections, etc., and are to enforce the MSHA radiation standards I cited, not the Health Department.

You are correct, we regulate the remainder of the radioactive materials and machine-generated radiation under the Radiation Control Act (CRS 25-11-101 et seq.).  Our Agreement State portion is addressed by our materials program, we have a machine unit and we handle TENORM/UMTRA et al as part of the materials program on the org chart.

What I was referring to was:
Sec. 62. License For Transfers Required.
42 USC 2092.
"Unless authorized by a general or specific license issued by the
Commission, which the Commission is authorized to issue, no person may
transfer or receive in interstate commerce, transfer, deliver, receive
possession of or title to, or import into or export from the United States
any source material after removal from its place of deposit in nature,
except that licenses shall not be required for quantities of source material
which, in the opinion of the Commission, are unimportant."

i.e, source material comes under license when it gets to the mill (after removal from...), the gate to the mill is where the fuel cycle begins (and the AEA-related programs).

Our Radiation Control Act has the following language:
(3) Section 25-11-107 shall not apply to unmined minerals containing radioactive materials
including such as are involved in mining operations.

The cited section refers to Prohibited acts - violations - penalties - rules - cease-and-desist orders.

We actually try to interface with our brethren in the Land Agencies and provide them at least moral support because they have no health physics staff (nor does MSHA HQ).  Other agencies/staff are also trying to improve monitoring at abandoned uranium mines undergoing reclamation because the workers can potentially get a snout full of radon/progeny from the unvented adits when performing reclamation activities (but that's another story).

With respect to the infinity rooms, I need to check with some co-workers, I did little work at RFETS myself (although I worked there a little when with ORNL).
PVE