[ RadSafe ] thyroid scan and ablation information

Carol Marcus csmarcus at ucla.edu
Sun Feb 27 17:46:46 CST 2011

Dear Sandy:

Most diagnostic thyroid scans use I-123 NaI, not NaI.  Most
metastatic surveys use I-131 NaI, although some use I-123.  Which are
you talking about?  Therapeutic thyroid ablation can be for Graves'
disease or differentiated thyroid cancer.  Which do you want?  For
dosimetry, use RADAR or ICRP #53.

Ciao, Carol