[ RadSafe ] radioactivity in garbage

ROY HERREN royherren2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 28 00:17:09 CST 2011

Mr. Okkalides,

    I am unfamiliar with the laws of Greece and as a result unqualified to give
you a specific legal answer.  I can tell you though from experience that if your
local landfill has a landfill radiation detector, usually mounted either at the
gate or by their truck scale, that they will probable reject anything
detectable.  Keep in mind that while their detectors may be fairly sensitive
that they are usually located at least a meter away from the large moving trucks
hauling the thick steel dumpsters, so whatever radioactive material is in the
dumpster would have to be fairly "hot" to be detected at a meter from the
exterior of the steel  dumpster .  Detectable, in my experience, is usually
anything above twice background, and it's unlikely that you can prevail in an
argument with the folks at the landfill about why they should take your load if
in your opinion the radiation while detectable is actually under that statutory
limit.  Rejection of a garbage load is a problem for both the garbage company
and for your hospital.  The garbage company needs to quickly turn around their
truck so they will most likely want to dump the load as soon as possible, and if
your lucky they will dump it somewhere away from the mountain of other garbage,
and then immediately call you (usually right after they have called your
regulators).  If your very unlucky they could bring the load back to your campus
and dump the load on your campus.  Either way your going to be stuck searching
for the radioactive material in the dumped garbage.  This isn't an experience
that one would want to regularly repeat!

   The best way to deal with this problem is to avoid having radioactive
material go into your garbage dumpster in the first place.  Purchase your own
radiation detectors and mount them near your garbage containers.  Train your
staff that if the detectors go off that they are supposed to set the material
aside and contact you or your staff.  That will afford you an opportunity to
find the material before it ends up in the dumpster, avoid dealing with the
folks at the landfill, and having to deal with your regulators when this issue
is reported to them by the folks at the landfill.  All in all, your purchase of
your own detectors will be a net savings to your hospital.  see page 37 of the
following web page (it's a large catalog so it may take a while for the down
load):
http://www.ludlums.com/images/stories/catalogs/Health%20Physics%20Catalog-Web.pdf

 Roy Herren