[ RadSafe ] body dose - witholding data - Infinity Room

Wolff, Al Al.Wolff at truproject.com
Mon Feb 28 07:29:07 CST 2011

John:

The "infinity room" I was familiar with at Rocky Flats was an old vacuum pump room in which the seals leaked on the pumps over the years creating the high contamination levels. Vacuum was used to move solutions around the building for various processes. The "infinity" came from the levels of high alpha contamination that exceeded the capacity of the hand held instruments used at the time (>1E6 dpm with Ludlum 12-1A).  In subsequent years they got smart and put these pumps in glove boxes containing them and  making maintenance possible.

To answer your question, this "infinity room" was fully characterized prior to demolition. The room was then cut up into chunks using a large cable saw with the waste being disposed of as TRU or LLW waste depending on how the characterization fell out.

Albert W. Wolff
Radiological Engineer
TRU Waste Processing Center, Lenoir City, TN