[ RadSafe ] Mission to Mars - Long story short

Larry Addis ajess at clemson.edu
Fri Jul 1 22:25:59 CDT 2011

Taking humans very far off the planet is problematic on so many levels. It
requires a disproportionate amount of resources to ensure the relative
safety of the astronauts as compared to what might be called primary
missions objectives otherwise.

The current physical logistics centered around the use of chemical
propellants are so stone ax as compared to travel velocities that are needed
to really get anywhere in real time are vast.

We, as a nation, are doing a very poor job of simple upkeep of existing
infrastructure much less appropriating $$$ for advancement of basic research
and science much less space travel.

It is phenomenal what my grandfather saw in the way of advancement of
science and technology during his lifetime 1895 - 1988, but there are too
many obstacles in our way to give me any faith that we will make any
significant strides in manned space travel in the next couple of decades or
more.  Yes we may get to stand on the surface of Mars, but what real good
would come of it.

Unmanned inquiry is most probably a better bet on most counts.  We have done
some pretty phenomenal things in the last 20 years - unmanned platforms that
have lasted years past their expected length of "profitable" performance
sending back immense loads of information that have given us insight that
would not have been achievable if manned.  Like landing on asteroids?

Add to the technological variables the potential instability and volatility
of the human mind over long periods of close confinement and the equations
get way more complicated.

Having said this, I would put on a space suit and blast off to the moon with
little provocation. I ride a very fast Ducati motorcycles daily too.

The cultural base expands at an ever increasing rate, but I don't have high
hopes of us getting very far off our little planet anytime soon.
If we had the power to accelerate for long periods of time at just 9.8
meters per second and get to relativistic speeds, maybe. But the time to
really get anywhere vs. our ability to retain our sanity and to stay focused
to get there, I'm not optimistic about.

LA, RSO
Clemson U.