[ RadSafe ] How many curies were involved in Hiroshima

Jim Hardeman Jim.Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us
Tue Jul 12 17:57:38 CDT 2011

John --

It might bear mentioning that the quantity listed on this slide is "I-131 equivalent". Each radionuclide identified is multiplied by its "radiological equivalence" (per the INES user manual) and summed to arrive at this total value. For example, the quantity of Cs-134 released is multiplied by 3 and added to the quantity of I-131 released; the quantity of Cs-137 released is multiplied by 40 and added to the I-131 + Cs-134 sum -- etc. etc.

Jim Hardeman

>>> "Dixon, John E. (CDC/ONDIEH/NCEH)" <gyf7 at cdc.gov> 7/12/2011 16:17 >>>
Whew! This e-mail topic is one, long thread. It makes little sense and bounces around quite a bit. I have attached a slide describing the "curie" numbers as related to Fukushima, Chernobyl, etc.

Regards,
John Dixon