[ RadSafe ] Subsurface Gamma Spec Detector

Doug Aitken jdaitken at sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com
Tue Jul 19 11:11:04 CDT 2011

Brian: could you be a bit more specific as to your needs:
- borehole diameter?
- want are you looking for?

Most commercial GR spectroscopy tools used in (oil-) well logging only attempt to give a T-U-K elemental split, as they use NaI detectors and a multi-window technique,  rather than full spectroscopic measurements. The more sophisticated elemental analysis is usually done in combination with pulsed neutron tools, using neutron-induced gamma (capture and scattering)spectroscopy. But again, the algorithms are generally designed to give an analysis of typical well lithologies.

Therefore you may not find exactly what you need from the majority of well logging tool manufacturers who concentrate on the oil and gas industry needs. The Canberra kit looks interesting.

Regards
Doug

Doug Aitken
QHSE Advisor, Schlumberger D&M Operations Support
Cell Phone: 713-562-8585
(alternate e-mail: doug.aitken at slb.com )
Mail: c/o Therese Wigzell,
Schlumberger,