[ RadSafe ] Low Dose Radiation Benefits

Michael LaFontaine, P. Phys. physics at execulink.com
Thu Jul 21 12:30:31 CDT 2011

Patricia, I share your concern. It's hard to believe the EPA hasn't
revised their lung cancer due to radon estimate after all these
years. Has a definitive, non-mining, non-smoking, radon-induced lung
cancer death been recorded or reported? It was common practice in
Canada for articles on radon to cite 2,100 lung cancer deaths due to
radon each year (writers were dividing the US number by 10 to reflect
our 1/10 of USA population). Data compiled by Statistics Canada (with
input from our various provincial forensic pathology services)
indicates 18,560 total lung, bronchus and trachea cancer deaths in
2007 (most were active or former smokers, many lived in a second-hand
smoke environment). Most annual Rn levels in Canada are below the 4
pCi/L USEPA guideline.

The following is from the National Cancer Institute's website (note -
evidence for radon has "fair" validity only):

Smoking Avoidance

Based on solid evidence, cigarette smoking causes lung cancer and
therefore, smoking avoidance would result in decreased mortality from
primary lung cancers.

Description of the Evidence
    * Study Design: Evidence obtained from a randomized controlled trial.
    * Internal Validity: Good.
    * Consistency: Good.
    * Magnitude of Effects on Health Outcomes: Decreased risk, large
magnitude.
    * External Validity: Good.
Smoking Cessation

Based on solid evidence, long-term sustained smoking cessation
results in decreased incidence of lung cancer and of second primary
lung tumors.

Description of the Evidence
    * Study Design: Evidence obtained from case-control and cohort studies.
    * Internal Validity: Good.
    * Consistency: Good.
    * Magnitude of Effects on Health Outcomes: Decreased risk,
moderate magnitude.
    * External Validity: Good.
Beta Carotene

Based on solid evidence, high-intensity smokers who take
pharmacological doses of beta carotene have an increased lung cancer
incidence and mortality that is associated with taking the supplement.

Description of the Evidence
    * Study Design: Evidence obtained from randomized controlled trials.
    * Internal Validity: Good.
    * Consistency: Good.
    * Magnitude of Effects on Health Outcomes: Increased risk, small
magnitude.
    * External Validity: Good.
Radon Exposure

Based on solid evidence, exposure to radon increases lung cancer
incidence and mortality.

Description of the Evidence
    * Study Design: Evidence obtained from case-control and cohort studies.
    * Internal Validity: Fair.
    * Consistency: Good.
    * Magnitude of Effects on Health Outcomes: Increased risk that
follows a dose-response gradient, with small increases in risk for
levels experienced in most at-risk homes.
    * External Validity: Fair.

Time to revisit BEIR yet again.

Best regards,

Michael LaFontaine